As I finalize my supply list and packing program, I thought I would share the knowledge I have from countless hours of Googling “SXSW packing lists” … I know, not really looking for creativity in my search query, but I did get good info!
1. Business Cards … if you have them bring a TON. If you dont (like me), make some up so the rock stars you meet at SXSW will remember you! After all, YOU are on the Start Up Bus!!!
2. Back Pack or some shoulder strapped carrying device. From what I have read, I am going to spend a lot of time walking around.
3. External battery pack … again, from what I have read, seems like I’ll be spending most of my day either on my iPhone or snapping pictures with my camera. I swung by Target the other day and picked up a Philips External Battery pack … it charges my iPhone and Camera.
4. CAMERA!!! Trust me … you will want to take pictures … because after all, What Happens At SXSW … Stays On Twitter, Flickr, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Twitpic, … you get it!
5. Power Strip … outlets in convention centers are not strategically placed so that everyone at the conventions can have access to power. They are set up about every 250 feet behind random pillars and flower pots. Imagine you the HERO when you plop out your power strip and ask to plug in … which then allows the 5 other SXSWers to power up with you. Can you say “Social Networking”
6. Headphones … for those times when you just need to escape and check out from the barrage of social media excitement.
7. Shoes … since you’ll be walking around with your back pack, you gotta keep your dogs comfy and happy! Limpin aint Pimpin.
8. Cash … always a good idea, you never know when you are going to need to split a taxi with a group of new best friends!
9. Notebook and pen (flat pen’s are cool) … Lets just say your smartphone has 10% battery life left and your external power charger is dead … and now you find yourself talking to the Amazingly Wicked Smart Shannon Paul … and she is dropping knowledge on you left and right – and you do NOT have a notepad to jot notes in!!!
10. Tide Stick, Wet Wipes … something to blot that unfortunate coffee lid malfuntion
11. Vitamin C, Air-borne, Advil … anything to keep you healthy and un-hungover!
12. Lip Balm – No matter where I go … my lips are the first to give up!
13. Notebook of unruled paper … for those random sketches that will become the foundation of the next incredible billion dollar start up!
14. Sunglasses – yes, you’ll be outside during the daylight too.
15. Wireless Internet Wi-Fi magic box – not really a “must have” … but imagine the Super Awesome Rock Star you will become when 4 others can join into your network and have access to the social media interwebz!!! I think there should be a Foursquare badge for that.
16. Hat, sweater, zip up, pull over, hoodie … most of the after hour parties will definitely be going on way past sunset … do not be surprised if the temperature dips below “comfy t-shirt weather”
Hope this helps … Add your suggestions in the comment section if I missed anything!
See you at SXSW!!!